“Fitness startup Asia Fitness Today rolls out series of Walkathons nationwide to foster healthy living and showcase diversity”
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, Sept. 6, 2018 — In the spirit of celebrating diversity this Malaysia Day, people from all walks of life are invited to move it at the premier #Move8 for Malaysia Day 7KM Walkathon held in conjunction with the KL Car Free Morning on 16th September 2018 flagging off from Dataran DBKL in the capital city.
Pronounced as “Move It”, #Move8 Fitness Movement (www.move8.org) encourages people of all ages to start moving. The World Health Organisation has determined that Malaysia has the highest obesity rate among its regional neighbours. It’s no wonder as Malaysian food is simply irresistible but it’s so rich in carbohydrates that Malaysians need to move it more in order to stay healthy!
The #Move8 Walkathon series will be held quarterly kicking off on Malaysia Day, 16 September 2018. 7KM is equivalent to 10,000 steps, the recommended minimum number of steps one needs to take daily to achieve optimum health (estimated duration to complete the walkathon is 90-minutes). Some of the most popular streets in Kuala Lumpur capital city of Malaysia will be closed off to traffic during KL Car Free Mornings and the road will be shared between runners, walkers, cyclists, skaters alike! Enjoy the sights of old and new KL city as you’ll walk from the confluence of the river city to the sky reaching KLCC Twin Towers. Don’t be surprised to see horses pulling a carriage, tandem cyclists and more!
“#Move8 is a drive to encourage people of all ages to get moving and using a walkathon to achieve this objective, everyone and anyone across all ages can participate. Our inspiration is the community of fit seniors we know personally who hike, walk and run. Learning from them, we inculcate strong community values wherever we go and therefore at each event we produce, we pledge to contribute to humanitarian aid charities. This Malaysia Day, we’ve selected the Malaysian Medical Relief Society (MERCY Malaysia) as the beneficiary,” said AsiaFitnessToday co-founders Jasmine Low and Nikki Yeo.
“Move8 Fitness Movement was initiated AsiaFitnessToday.com – an online platform for corporate companies to book fitness activities for their employees, or for general public to book group training. We wish to foster good relationships in the communities we live and work in by using fitness events as a means to stay healthy make new friends while doing good for society. We believe with #Move8 Fitness Movement, we can align with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals; Goal #3 Good Health and Well-being for People. There are so many marathons and fun runs weekly, yet there are still many Malaysians who do not participate simply because they’re not interested nor fit enough to get started. A walkathon makes it easy for anyone and everyone to join in and we encourage corporate citizens and government agencies, athletes and sportsmen to step in as fitness advocates and sign up their family and friends for a walkathon,” adds Low.
The #Move8 for Malaysia Day Walkathon will be the first in a series that will be held throughout the country including Penang, Langkawi Island (State of Kedah), Cameron Highlands (State of Pahang) and Kundasang (State of Sabah). There are also plans to expand the walkathon into the ASEAN region. Each edition of the #Move8 Walkathon will be made appealing to international and domestic travellers as the selected locations are also some of Malaysia’s hottest tourism destinations. Each #Move8 Walkathon in the series will also hold a different theme in accordance to location. Participants who successfully complete the entire walkathon series will receive a special prize to mark their achievement by Malaysia Day in 2020.
The #Move8 Fitness Movement is conceptualised by AsiaFitnessToday.com (AFT) – a fitness startup incubated by experiential events company GoInternationalGroup.com, a Cradle Coach & Grow Program grant recipient.
#Move8 Malaysia Day Walkathon’s official partners are KL Car Free Morning, Kuala Lumpur City Council (DBKL) and MultiGreen Events, the initiators of KL Car Free Morning. Prize sponsors include Amnig, ICON Fitness, Jump Street Asia, Meesha Sukira and Nusantara Bullion Exchange. Meanwhile, event partners SonneAire hybrid air-conditioning systems and award-winning portable toilet Ecoloo (both Cradle CGP recipient companies) have joined in to assist #Move8 event organiser GoInternationalGroup.com in providing sustainable events solutions.
Participation fees are RM50 for all participants and they will receive a commemorative 999 silver coin, breakfast, a goodie bag as well as an entry to a lucky draw. From the fees, 10% will be donated to MERCY Malaysia, a non-profit organisation that provides humanitarian and medical assistance in Malaysia and overseas. Closing date is on 12th September 2018 and tickets can be purchased online at: www.move8.org.
Aside from the #Move8 for Malaysia Day Walkathon, AFT also hosts free Zumba on the first sunday of the month at the KL Car Free Morning in Kuala Lumpur and the 100 Day Fitness Challenge where groups of 30 people will be coached to be fitter and healthier versions of themselves in 100 days by certified fitness trainers.
Go International Group Dotcom Sdn Bhd is an experiential events and integrated marketing communication company. Our vision is to create unforgettable experiences through live events that are powered by technology and inspired by “Movement & Rhythm”. Since 2005, our pioneering spirit along with a passionate team of skilled professionals have delivered innovative events with impact in Kuala Lumpur and Sydney. Visit www.gointernationalgroup.com.
AsiaFitnessToday.com aspires to be Asia’s No.1 and Most Trusted Fitness Network by 2020. It is our goal to help people of Asia to move and understand that movement is indeed therapy. As Asian nations progress there’s a growing middle-class of busy working professionals that forego their health in pursuit of their careers. It is our goal and our responsibility to bring that balance back to people’s lives. We believe we can do that through education, fitness programs and fitness events. AFT rolled out the Move8 Fitness Movement and hosts weekly, monthly and quarterly events that encourage people to move. The activities range from walkathons, Zumba to wellness retreats and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels. AsiaFitnessToday.com is a fitness platform incubated by Go International Innovation Lab, a division of Go International Group Dotcom Sdn Bhd and is a Cradle Malaysia Coach ‘n Grow program recipient since June 2017,
KL Car Free Morning is held from 7am to 9am every first and third Sunday of the month and features closed roads for people of all walks of life to cycle, handcycle, run, skateboard, rollerskate, rollerblade or simply walk. It starts from Dataran DBKL (near Dataran Merdeka) and leads participants through about 7 kilometres of major streets in Kuala Lumpur’s Golden Triangle. Each time, title sponsor OCBC Bank offers 140 bicycles for the people to use for free. The event, first introduced on 22 September 2013, is organised by Multigreen Events and supported by Kuala Lumpur City Hall. Several thousand people throng to the event each time, testimony to the growing health-consciousness among Malaysians and their appreciation of KL Car Free Morning.
MERCY Malaysia is a non-profit organisation focusing on providing medical relief, sustainable health-related development and risk reduction activities for vulnerable communities in both crisis and non-crisis situations. MERCY Malaysia recognises the value of working with partners and volunteers as well as providing opportunities for individuals to serve with professionalism. We uphold the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief and hold ourselves accountable to our donors and beneficiaries. As a non-profit organisation, MERCY Malaysia relies solely on funding and donations from organisations and generous individuals to continue our services to provide humanitarian assistance to our beneficiaries. For more information, please visit http://www.mercy.org.my.
Contact: Syuhada Adam
- Being still June 27, 2020Take in this beautiful drone videography by Saran Dashnamoorthy of Tiruvannamalai. A templetown of just 145,000 in population (2011 census) but over a million in devotees in transit annually, Tiru is located in the Tamil Naidu state of southern India between the cities of Chennai and Bangalore and has history dating back to the ninth […]
- 40 years IWGA – The World Games June 22, 2020The World Games, first held in 1981, are an international multi-sport event, meant for sports or disciplines that are not in the Olympic Games. The World Games are organised and governed by the International World Games Association (IWGA) and recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The World Games are held every four years, one […]
- The World Games 2022: Virtual Watch Parties June 22, 202022 June 2022 (AFTNN/PRNewsGIG) – The world needs sports right now, but there aren’t many places to get them. With major sports leagues shutdown throughout the world, fans across the globe are looking anywhere they can to get their fix of competition. Sports fans desperate for some action need look no further than The World Games […]
- Asia represented in the 10 YEARS of the International Surrealism Now Exhibition at CAE June 19, 20202 June 2020 / PRNewsGIG The International Surrealism Now Exhibition will open in 2020 (with exact dates to be announced soon) at the Center of Arts and Spectacle (CAE) in the city of Figueira da Foz in Portugal, and in the ambit of celebrating its 10th anniversary, the 14th edition of the International Surrealism Now exhibition. Indonesia, China, […]
- Boosting your immune system to battle COVID-19 June 19, 2020I was compiling research on boosting our immune system, and would like to share that it’s far beyond just taking Vitamin C. It’s all about reducing my intake of carbohydrates and getting some Vitamin D of some sunlight kind. It really is as simple as that! Increasing our immunity help fight off infections. Our pituitary […]
- A moment with Markus Haggeny, FAI Secretary General June 18, 2020It is apparent that Markus Haggeny has a heart full of love for air sports. He is passionate about it and its participants’ safety especially during this time of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Lessons from Jeju | Freediving and Motherhood with Kimi Werner June 15, 2020AFT brings you a special edition by Patagonia Films. Synopsis: Seven months pregnant and apprehensive of the effect motherhood would have on her career as a professional freediver, Kimi Werner took a trip to the island of Jeju in South Korea to meet her heroes, the haenyeo – a group of freediving and fishing women […]
- Everything Before Us June 15, 2020AFT is pleased to share “Everything Before Us” – the first official feature film by Wong Fu Productions (USA). The film was released in 2015 and toured globally, it was shown on Netflix. Directed by Wesley Chan Philip Wang Source: IMDb Writing Credits Wesley Chan Chris Dinh Philip Wang Source: IMDb Synopsis: The Department of […]
- GOSHEN: Tarahumara Running People Born to Run June 3, 2020American Filmmakers Dana Richardson & Sarah Zentz produced and directed GOSHEN (2015), a documentary about the plant-based diet and active lifestyle of the indigenous Tarahumara, a light-footed running tribe, who are striving to maintain their ancient culture. The film won the Golden Palm Award from Mexico International Film Festival (2015). AFT TV selected this film […]